Thursday, November 20, 2014

How to Blender, Part 3: Revenge of the Blend

I had an idea! And it's an idea that I'm going to use! It's really clever, and I love it!



Oh, you wanted to know what it is? Sorry. It's basically a portable bookstand - sort of like a music stand, for those of you that are musically acquainted, except smaller and without the giant pole holding it at eye-level. It came about because I realised that trying to pin a book down with one hand and do something with the other was far too difficult and annoying, and it could be so much easier if something else just held the book open. And so, the idea was born.

It only took one lesson to actually create the bookstand, which I guess is probably a good thing since it was the last lesson before presentation (next week being work experience). So without further ado, I present the bookstand!

***

Alright, so after much further ado in which I attempted to learn how to render stuff in Blender, then gave up and just took more screenshots, I present the bookstand!



Yay!

So, I guess this project is/was really a lot less about learning about the 3D printer for me, and much more about learning 3D modeling and (to an extent) solving problems using new technology (3D modeling and printing, as is obvious).
I ran into a few challenges along the way, namely the incredibly complex nature of Blender and all the things that need to be remembered, tweaked etc. (and in fact I still haven't exported it in such a way that it can be printed, so that will/would have its own share of complexities and difficulties), but overall I am finding/have found this project satisfying and educational.
I now have a basic skillset in Blender, which I imagine will provide me with at least some advantage in the future, in whatever area I happen to end up in. Plus, if I get time to print it, I'll have my own portable bookstand (admittedly, probably a tiny one that's no use for anything other than those tiny little novelty books, but still)!






3 comments:

  1. You seemed to master blender pretty quickly well done. The Aristocats video was very appropriate I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Honestly, the bookstand was mostly a matter of just using the Extend tool a lot along with the occasional basic Transform. I'm pretty proud of thinking of the video as well, I don't know why I thought of it immediately but I'm glad I did.

      Delete
  2. Fantastic. I like your conclusion and the realisation you have come to about the true learning within your project. I agree your learning seemed to be around 3D modelling. I am looking forward to seeing your prototype.

    ReplyDelete